Login Register Donate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VPCSB: AMD working in Windows 10!
Big Grin 
A year ago or so, I moved to Windows 10, and I faced the known problem of many Vaio and Dell laptop owners: Only the Intel HD graphics worked, not the AMD one. So I returned to Windows 7, waiting for more news. But no news whatsoever. So, this week I tried again. And, with great surprise, with the latest release of Windows 10 and latest drivers from Intel and AMD, it works like a charm!

Hardware:
  • Sony Vaio VPCSB2J9E (with Stamina/Speed physical switch button)
  • AMD Radeon HD 6470M + Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Muxless Fixed Scheme, as it shows in BIOS options (unique option, even after patching it)
Software:
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 1607 (Anniversary Update)
  • AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta for Non GCN Products (download)
  • Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7/8-64-bit 15.28.24.64.4229 (9.17.10.4229) (download)
It seems it works in Dynamic scheme, even so in BIOS the only option available is Fixed scheme. I can't understand it. In the AMD Panel, I can select which GPU to use (performance / energy saving) globally and for each application, or make it depend on whether with battery or connected to AC. And it works!!! Stamina/Speed switch button does nothing now. I have tested some games, all work ok. HDMI also works.

Some minor issues:
  • The color settings (gamma/brighness/contrast/color) must be changed in the AMD Panel, not the Intel Panel. If I try to change them in the Intel Panel, the screen colors get corrupted (It seems psychodelic).
  • To make games work in fullscreen, I had to uninstall some DisplayLink universal USB docking station drivers, because it caused BSOD crash. No problem in windowed mode.
Just tested it on a fresh Win 10 Pro install on my Vaio SA3 and I can confirm it worls.

I ran latest 3DMark on both AMD HD6630M and Intel HD3000 profiles and it gives different results (Cloudgate V1.1, 4331pts vs. 2909pts; other tests didn't run on Intel, lacking DX11)

I can't get Brightness controls working, but I suppose that's because I haven't found the right combination of Sony SFEP drivers and Vaio Control Center yet.

Now I only wish there was an official statement from either Microsoft or AMD so we'd know who to bother about backporting it to Win 7.

Edit: Actually I am still on Version 1511 (Build 10586.679), so maybe it was fixed earlier this year without anyone noticing.
And it works on Win 7 Pro x64, too!

Tried it on a new install, works the same as in Win 10 (no physical switch), 3DMark scores roughly the same.

Now to update on my regular W7 install.

Edit: Simply installed 16.2.1b over 14.4 and rebooted. No problems. Thanks boccaromel for noticing, I'd never even have tried to install the latest legacy driver.
Only to complete the compatibility information. Widi/Miracast is not working in Windows 10 for HD Graphics 2000/3000. Intel has not released compatible drivers (and probably never will).

Intel Wireless Display (Intel WiDi) Platform and Operating System Compatibility
System Requirements for Intel Wireless Display (Intel WiDi)
Intel draws fire for not writing Win10 drivers for older Sandy Bridge PCs
I will try on my SA4 during the winter break, sounds nice!

Are all function keys not working or just the ones related to brightness?
I don't mind much about changing the brightness manually, changing the volume manually or switching between display modes (cloned, extended) would be slightly annoying.

I also didn't get the "Muxless Fixed Scheme" thing, I never noticed this option in the stock version of the BIOS.
(11-13-2016, 08:01 PM)boccaromel Wrote: Intel draws fire for not writing Win10 drivers for older Sandy Bridge PCs
They recommend checking the following:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/...17.10.4459
http://www.intellimodder32.com/
Hello everybody, i've tried just now drivers from 1st post, but it's still shows me "Radeon 7400m Series" when i have 6470m, and it's on win 10 x64. Idk if it's possible to make it work right, but i would be very grateful if somebody can provide me a link or step-by-step guide to make it right Smile